Women`s Skills Development Organization differs in many aspects from other companies.
Although we produce a wide range of handmade products of highest quality, we are a non-profit, fair trade organization, with the goal to empower in any kind disadvantaged women. They are not only regarded as employees, but rather as family.
Therefore we not only employ the women to be able to earn their livelihoods, but also
- Comply with the rules of the Fair trade community
- Ensure our women to manage both family commitments and employment by requiring no quotas that our producers must meet and paying them per item, working on a flexible hour basis, according homework for our employees and providing a child care centre
- Provide them with annual health check-ups and arrange health and hygiene awareness camps for our members and their families.
- Enable continuing education opportunities by involving WSDO teachers and staff in national and international training as well as providing various types of refresher courses to our established workers, ensuring participation in handicraft fashion-show programs, and both national and international exhibitions and providing English language training when possible.
- Provide a cooperative saving and credit program, where the women can save money for the future and can obtain a loan with nominal interest. For the senior teachers, WSDO has a saving program, depositing 10% of their monthly earnings in an interest-bearing account.
- Recognize their work by awarding cash prizes for the best worker, provide clothing allowance, 60 days paid maternity leave, emergency allowance
- Organize an educational tour to social locations, cultural organizations, historical places, or handicraft and industrial development activities outside of Pokhara.
- Take care of our members children by offering scholarships (in 2016 50) between Rs1000 to Rs7000 depending on the family`s financial situation, and awarding cash prizes for the best in class or studies
We also care about our supply chain members and
- Try to use fair trade products as raw material
- Cooperate with non-FT suppliers who are from disadvantaged and economically challenged backgrounds
Moreover, we care about environment and
- minimize environmental impact by using local raw materials, like cotton and allo wool.
- use Azo-free colours